What’s Happening At The Moment
HAVE YOUR SAY: KWA believe that residents should be kept informed about potential changes to the area, have access to clear information and ample opportunity to engage and influence plans.
**The below information is provided by the developers representative**
|A new Oasis Academy in South Bristol Daventry Road, Knowle||Department for Education, Bristol City Council, Oasis Community Learning and Wates. |
Key contact: Chris Gilder, Wates, (Chris.Gilder@wates.co.uk) supported by Avril Baker, ABC. firstname.lastname@example.org, 0117 977 2002 or m:0780 395 4120
|Planning update and opportunity to ask questions prior to|
submission of reserved matters application 20th August for x4 weeks
|Public Exhibition||Public Engagement Methods||More Info|
|Exhibition at The Park from 26 August –|
10 September . Staffed drop-in session on
8 September TIME: 3pm-6pm
|1.Notification mailing and project flyer – mailed to 1070 nearby addresses and stakeholder groups and organisations |
2.Additional flyers to be available in KWA venues and local libraries
3.Latest proposals & survey, contacts for further queries online at
4.Printed copies of material and survey forms available on request from ABC
5.Exhibition at The Park from 26 August –10 September . Staffed drop-in session on 8 September @ 3pm-6pm
6.Reference copies of exhibition boards and flyers sent to Knowle and Filwood libraries and KW Media Centre
7.Copies of flyers sent to other local community centres and libraries
8.Attending Knowle West Future Forum in September
9.Advert in the Knowledge (end of September)
|The new Oasis Academy, on Daventry Road, will provide 900 additional school places for 11 to 16 year-olds; Oasis Community Learning will be the education provider. The project to build the school involves the Department for Education (DfE), Bristol City Council and Wates, the appointed contractors. The school project is funded by the DfE.|
Following three rounds of public consultation in summer 2019, outline planning consent was secured for the school, in September 2020, as part of a hybrid planning application (19/04881/P) which included full planning consent for The Park’s new community centre.
The outline planning consent also agreed a series of additional arrangements for the school (parameter plans):
· Indicative height of a 2-3 storey building
· Area of development, including a multi-use games area (MUGA)
· Area of retained/enhanced playing fields
· Retention of playing fields with hybrid pitches (natural grass reinforced by synthetic fibres)
· Landscape zone, including trees to be removed and retained
· Access routes, parking and highway works
· Main vehicular school access into the school (during school hours) from Newquay Road/ Teignmouth Road and exiting from Daventry Road
· 58 car parking bays (5 visitor and 3 disabled) and storage for 200 cycles
More detailed plans for the new school are now being worked up before a further planning application (Reserved Matters Application) is submitted to the council in late September. This will seek approval for the detailed design and appearance of the school buildings including the layout, scale, materials and landscaping.
Key features of the current scheme:
· The new academy will be built on the footprint of the existing building, keeping the buildings on the north side of the site and maximising the outside space on the south side.
· The building shape has been made more efficient, shrinking the footprint and creating more outside space.
· The building is sympathetic to the scale of the surrounding buildings.
· The main hall and dining spaces are now located in the centre of the building, closer to the main entrance.
· The privacy of the residential areas is respected using existing landscaping and the location of the buildings on the site.
· The multi-use games area is located away from the site boundary
· The local community will be able to hire facilities, outside of school hours, for a range of activities and events.
More information on the proposals can be found at https://wates-tenders.co.uk/oap/
When the Park’s new community building is complete and they have moved into their new premises, remediation and demolition works will begin on the former Merrywood School.
The indicative forecast school building opening date is September 2024.
THIS WEB PAGE IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT